Friday 24 January 2014

Kazakhstan Series: Performance at School for the Blinds

I always try to mix in charity performances with my concert tours.  At Almaty, Kazakhstan, I specifically asked my concert organizer to arrange such a performance.  It turned out to be one of the highlights of my trip. 
The School for the Blind was situation a short distance from the city centre.  It provides for children who have completely lost their sight and other kinds of illnesses relating to the eye - meaning, some are completely blind while some have very limited vision.  It is a very local school where they spoke Kazakh amongst themselves (and of course Russian, which is the official language). 
Just for my visit, the children put up a little concert for me!  To my huge surprise, there was a little school orchestra comprising traditional instruments such as the dombra.  The conductor/music teacher was very passionate, and the performances were excellent on every count.  I particularly enjoyed the different traditional dances - and even took a crack at it (to the dismay of many).  





















No comments:

Post a Comment