Tuesday 21 January 2014

Recital in Bangkok, Thailand


I recently played a recital in Bangkok, on a beautiful Steinway at the Goethe Institute. The programme was what I had prepared this season - the Golden Age of the Piano, featuring works by Joaquim Malats, Louis Aubert, Abram Chasins, and Leonard Pennario - all composers from the late-romantic period whose fame were dwarfed by larger figures such as Rachmaninoff and Debussy.  Not exactly popular classics, but they are beautifully written and easily accessible to even the most untrained ear.  I love how composers of this period could exploit every possible expressive and technical nuances from the piano.

I can already recognize some of the audience who came last year. One of them, an American living in Bangkok and a seasoned concert-goer, writes reviews on all the concerts he attends - mine was no exception.  Here are his thoughts on the recital:

http://bkkexpat.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/the-golden-age-of-piano-via-unknown.html



I am most appreciative of being praised for playing the piano "so well" and that my recitals are "so enjoyable", but the real highlight for me here is the word "dapper".

Thank you Buzz, I'll be seeing you again shortly this March!

No comments:

Post a Comment