Sunday, 19 January 2014

Murad Kazhlayev - sounds of Azerbaijan


While few people from the Western or Asian world could locate Azerbaijan with pinpoint accuracy, I have been fascinated by its music.  Little known composer from Azerbaijan Murad Kazhlayev (born in 1931) has only 2 previous recordings on small CD labels of this fantastic Romantic Sonatina in three movements, and perhaps even fewer performances. 
​​
I have been searching high and low for the whereabouts of Murad but nary a hair is found! Short of putting his face on milk cartons, if anyone has information leading to the finding of Murad Kazhlayev, please let me know immediately....  
​
This is considered an early work of Kazhlayev, and the style strikes somewhere in between Shostakovich and perhaps a little of Prokofiev.  I have performed this a few seasons ago, and also performed recorded his gorgeous Preludes in my CD "Far Side of the Road".  Who would have thought - music from Azerbaijan!  Here is a live recording filmed in 2011.

Kazhlayev is sometimes spelled Kazhlaev.  Lazar Berman also recorded 3 of his Preludes.




 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment