Friday 24 January 2014

Kazakhstan Series: Recital in Shymkent


Shymkent is the capital city of South Kazakhstan region.  It is the last place I expect myself to appear on stage, and yet there I was, in a beautiful concert hall that has a calendar as filled-up as Carnegie Hall, giving a recital to local South Kazakhs of all shapes and sizes who rushed to the recital like it was sales at Harod's.  A translator who spoke as much English as I could speak Kazakh read out a brief bio of me (I can only hope!) and announced each pieces as I happily banged away on a 7-foot white Yamaha concert grand.  I played the whole recital without an intermission - I couldn't look up "intermission" in Kazakh.  The audience loved it nevertheless and the concert was really well received.  One lady audience even rushed up on stage, gave me a rose and a kiss!  I can only hope that isn't a Kazakh proposal of marriage...









No comments:

Post a Comment