Friday 24 January 2014

Recital in Tokyo

I had a great trip to Tokyo.  At my practice studio, I met people who are genuinely passionate about music and are very active in their pursuits.  They were putting up concerts of music by Alkan and Mompou that are rare in other Asian venues, evidence of their knowledge and passion for the piano.  
My recital hall is a new venue at the Shiodome district, amidst high-rise buildings and a modern (and huge) metro station.  The Steinway model B was well maintained, and the hall exudes a serene and quiet sophistication that I immediately identify with the Japanese sensibility.  
The turnout wasn't too big, as little was put into the promotion of the concert (something I will put my mind into when I work with this organizer again).  Still, a nice group of people turned up and the audience was extremely appreciative and positive.  At the end of my recital, I performed a piece with a Japanese flautist Eri Kimura, which I thought was the highlight of the evening.   
Working in Japan isn't easy and foreigners need to attune themselves to the formality and rigidity of its corporate culture, but I am definitely coming back to Tokyo and to this beautiful hall!









No comments:

Post a Comment